Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Educating the Masses

My dad was visiting Bobaloo and I last weekend and on Sunday we found ourselves at Wrigley’s watching the Bears beat the Vikings. We indulged in the breakfast buffet and of course, threw back some Bloody Marys.

When the waitress brought my dad his Bloody, he looked down and wondered where the snit was. This is funny because Bobaloo and I had been discussing the regional differences of Bloody Marys a few weeks ago. We noted that here in Colorado the Bloody is served sans snit and a little spicier than in Minnesota.

What is a snit you ask? It’s kind of like a beer chaser that gets served in a lowball glass with your Bloody. You sip on the beer while drinking your Bloody Mary.

After much research, I have concluded the snit is something that is only served in bars in the Midwest, more specifically Minnesota and Wisconsin. I have to say that I am a fan of this element of drinking. It kind of takes the edge of the Bloody.

More research revealed that a snit is:

a U.S. unit of volume for liquor equal to 2 jiggers, 3 U.S. fluid ounces, or 88.7 milliliters. The origin of this unit is unknown.

Fascinating.

Do they serve snits in your state?

P.S. To learn what a Morning Margarita is check out A.B.’s blog The A-List

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill to Lady Astor: "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

3 comments:

  1. My in-laws live in MN, so I know exactly what you are talking about. Well, now I do. For years, I couldn't for the life of me understand why they served me a mini beer with my Bloody Mary at Zorbaz! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy. I had no idea what that was, either! We do not have snits in TX. I didn't know that drinking was so segregated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of a snit! And in all my days working in the bars, no one has ever asked for one. Crazy.

    People do ask for a side of horseradish or extra horseradish in their BM (er, um, that stands for Bloody Mary) and some people add more salt and pepper, but that's about it.

    We are boring out this way

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Got somethin' to say?