Tuesday, December 30, 2008

'Twas Five Days After Christmas And I've Finally Recovered

Christmas this year was strange. For the first time it was just my husband and I. Family was not involved at all except for the exchange of Christmas cards. I thought this would be the greatest Christmas ever since I am not all too fond of the holidays. This year I got my wish, and spent Christmas in a bar among friends ignoring carolers, festivities, and whatnot. I have to say, it was relaxed and glorious. I am not a Grinch. We went to the Golden Christmas candlelight walk. I had Bobaloo go out and get a Christmas tree so I could put decorations on it. The tree eventually lost every single needle on it by Christmas (I am totally not joking and will post video), but I actually like the holidays. I like the way we do them, which is simply. We cut out the excessive craziness and do holiday shit our way. Does this piss our family
off? I think so. On the other hand, maybe they are just disappointed. To make amends for our debauched and often booze soaked holiday we make it a point to send out Christmas cards. Well, actually New Year’s cards because odds are they will not get to people in time for Christmas!
Sending and receiving holiday cards is my favorite seasonal thing to do. I have to admit, Bobaloo and I did great on our card this year. The card we sent out was adorable and it cracked many receivers up. That is good. ‘Tis the season to be jolly so I hear and nobody would disagree that Christmas could always use more cowbell!
We received many cards this year. Some were hilarious, some were spiritual, some had family photos, and some (my favorite) were very sparkly. What was interesting this year is a couple of people found old photographs from when I was a child and sent them with their cards. It was neat to see the little me. The little girl who loved Christmas more than anyone did. A tiny youngster who loved decorating the tree and setting up the cherished nativity scene on the coffee table. A teensy child who would totally roll her eyes at the dispirited, skeptical, grownup me. Seriously, seven year old me would die if she knew I did not go sledding and ice skating every day.
I feel strange these days, a little disenchanted. As if I have one of my feet where I was “before,” and the other foot where I should be. I have always been a late bloomer so maybe it is my time to have reservations about the question marks in my life. When I was younger if I was upset over nothing my mom referred to it as having “growing pains.” Maybe what I am experiencing are some behind schedule “becoming a grownup pains.”
On a lighter note, many things made this yuletide merry and since it ‘tis the season to be jolly here are a few:
Homemade Tom and Jerry Mix http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tom-and-Jerry/Detail.aspx A patient and splendid husband to drink aforementioned Tom and Jerry drinks with A homemade mountain dulcimer made by a dear friend (Picture Later)
Last but not least, an Auntie to remind me that not only is it acceptable to build snow-camels instead of snowmen. It is greatly encouraged.

0 Blue Plate Specials:

Post a Comment

Hey you! Got somethin' to say?