Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Resolutions I

When I was going through my 2-year bout with holy heck-I am so sad-anxious-who am I?-what does this all mean?-why can’t I fit?-is my mind going?-better question where is my hair going?-is this worth the trouble?-what the heck is happening to me?*, it was so busy in my head that I stopped everything else. I was motionless and no matter what I tried, I could not move forward.

About a year ago I came back to the land of the functioning; it hasn’t been fully until recently. 
I have taken most of this last year to heal. Restore myself, reconcile to my people, and rejoin the commotion of everyday life.
I don’t have it all figured out. I am still working on it. And that’s okay.
When you panic, it’s your body telling you to slow down and resolve whatever needs resolving.
My life had to come to a complete stop for me to get the message and it turns out there were some things in my life that needed resolution. Taking a Xanax is easy, dealing with shit and holding it together is not. 
It has taken time. 
There has been a lot of gathering, sorting, recognizing, understanding, and finally, removal of shit.
Everyday chores and routines were too difficult to deal with so I just didn’t. Everything and everyone was overwhelming.
I have a few close girlfriends who are successful in their careers, have happy social lives, nice houses, and raising kids on top of that.  When I would visit them during this time I couldn’t help but think to myself, how can someone possibly have the energy for a life like theirs? How is your countertop so clean all the time? You grocery shop, cook dinner, put the mail away, and hang out with your kids? You host brunches on the weekend? You go to the mall, get your hair done, and vacuum all in the same day? How do you do this? Was there a grownup class I missed? How do you find the energy?
How do you do this?
I felt incompetent.
My girlfriends are amazing.
I had just failed to recognize that they were living life.
I was not. 
When we were getting ready to move to the new place, I prepared to move into a new head space. The steps forward have been gradual, but I am moving. That is the important part.
I go to work every day. I take care of the dog. I feed the fish. I make the bed. I do the dishes. I clean.  I pay bills. I tell Bobaloo not to fall asleep on the couch. I have even started helping with dinner on occasion. These things are very small but they make my life.
Almost a year later, I am very proud of this life.

*Sorry to get so technical.

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this post...

    My lowest of lows was at age 26. I would walk into a grocery store, look around, feel totally overwhelmed, and walk out. The twenties are bad for a lot of people.

    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a simple life. One of my pet peeves is when people I know "laundry list" their lives...they tell me in great detail all of the things they have to do on that day. They are the ones who chose to have four kids and sign them up for five activities each. I'm not sympathetic.

    Sorry this turned into a rant, but I like your life as it is.

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Got somethin' to say?